Ground will be broken Thursday morning on a new, three story Rainbow House at Farnam and Beverly Drive. The 43,500-square-foot facility will provide more room for the parents and family members of children being treated at Children's Hospital and Medical Center.
Each guest lives 60 or more miles from Omaha. The Rainbow House will feature 56 guest rooms along with modern amenities:
· A reception area for incoming guests
· A large kitchen with four cooking stations and individual guest refrigerators
· A dining room with seating for 84
· An outdoor patio and playground
· Media, game, play and exercise rooms
· Sitting areas on each floor for relaxation and socialization
· Guest laundry rooms on each floor
Each room will have one or two queen beds, a pull-out sofa, private bath, television, WIFI access and individual temperature controls.
Since 1983, the original Rainbow House has been located at 7815 Harney Street. There is no formal charge to stay at the Rainbow House, just a suggested donation of $10 per night.
The cost of the new Rainbow House is estimated at $12.7 million. Private donors are providing significant support. The Children’s Hospital & Medical Center Foundation has also launched additional community fundraising efforts.
Completion for the new facility is anticipated in spring 2015. The current Rainbow House will continue to serve Children’s families throughout the building process.